CardiologySite logo
Prior Page Dominant Right Coronary Artery 1 Next Page
  When you have completed review of this screen , please click the "Next" blue arrow for the second portion of this section.

   In 85% of patients the right coronary artery (RCA) is said to be "dominant" because it supplies circulation to the inferior portion of the interventricular septum via the right posterior descending coronary artery or PDA branch.
 
  In these cases the RCA travels to the cross-section of the AV groove and the posterior interventricular (IV groove). Here, it gives rise to the right posterior descending coronary artery (PDA) branch which travels in the posterior IV groove and gives off several septal perforator branches (SP). The SP supply blood to the lower portion of the IV septum.

  Generally, the dominant RCA also gives rise to the AV nodal branch which supplies blood to the AV node.

Top of Page

Legend: SA=Sino-atrial node branch; RV=Right ventricular  branch; AM=Acute marginal branch; AV=atrio-ventricular branch; RPLA=Right posterolateral branch; RPDA=Right posterior descending artery: AV plane=Atrioventricular plane: IV Septum=Intraventricular septum.
  The dominant RCA also provides the right postero-lateral (PLA) branch to the lower postero-lateral portion of the left ventricle. Frequently, the circumflex (Cx) may also provide additional PLA branches which are known as the left PLA branches.

  The sinus or sino-atrial (SA) node branch originates in the proximal portion of the RCA in 60% of cases and as a left atrial branch of the Cx in the remaining 40% of cases. This is unrelated to whether the artery is "dominant" or not.

   When you have completed review of this screen , please click the "Next" button for the second portion of this section.

Prior Page Dominant Right Coronary Artery 1 Next Page
Top of Page
| menu | coronary angiography | cardiac auscultation | cardiology quiz |site info |
 
©1999-2005, A.S.M. Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved, including design and all contents that include graphics and animations.